DeGerrymander Texas Lobby Day Materials
From the DeGerrymander Texas Lobby Day on April 20, 2017, the materials produced for that day are now available in hopes that this information helps others understand gerrymandering, the redistricting process in Texas, and the opportunities for creating a redistricting process that is truly representative for all Texans.
How can you use this? Use this to jazz up your Calls to Action – or simply give you greater confidence in talking about redistricting reform. You can also use this if you make appointments with your legislator – during the session or after. (We will update the bills to reflect the interim session bill assignments once they are available.)
Your District / County Analysis:
- Curious to see how has your district or county changed over time? This link provides all historical maps back to 1846. http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/redist/history/maps_congress.html
- We suggest you start with 1991 maps and work to the present-day maps.
85th Legislature Talking points: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bDiCDXngE1ZUhIU2Y0Y1ZpM2M/view?usp=sharing
This document contains:
- Talking Points / tips for talking with your legislator and their staff
- Gentle reminders about knowing your audience
- Things to do at the Capitol (other than talk to your legislator and staff!)
- 85th Legislature Redistricting Reform bills by author, bill filing information, and brief description.
- Associated talking points on redistricting reform bills
- Texas Gerrymandering History
- 85th Legislature bills on straight ticket voting
- Associated talking points on straight ticket voting
85th Legislature Letters to Legislators: https://drive.google.com/open?id=167HHBmTsWLmVBzH27N1cXZXsu-CCzYKss6nA-6ECAFE
This document is intended for distribution to legislators or the staff after you speak with them about redistricting reform bills. This is standard practice during lobbying activities to leave something to reinforce your message.